News-FAQs for .HK Domain Names
FAQs for .HK Domain Names
1. What is .HK?
.HK is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Hong Kong.
2. What kind of .HK domain names does NiceNIC.NET offer?
NiceNIC.NET as .HK Accredited Registrar offers all domain names operated by Registry of HKIRC:
.HK (get .香港 for FREE)
.COM.HK (get 公司.香港 for FREE)
.NET.HK get (網絡.香港 for FREE)
.ORG.HK (get 組織.香港 for FREE)
.EDU.HK (get 教育.香港 for FREE)
.GOV.HK (get 政府.香港 for FREE)
.IDV.HK (get 個人.香港 for FREE)
3. Who can register .HK domain name and what are the special registration requirements/restrictions for .HK domain names?
There are no restrictions on who can register .HK domain name, it can be registered by any individual or business in any country.
The only information Registry of HKIRC would require is Government issued company registration number (for organizations) OR valid ID/passport number (for individuals).
Generally, there is no documentary proof required.
4. Who can register .COM.HK, .NET.HK, ORG.HK or other Hong Kong HK domain names and what are the special registration requirements/restrictions?
Please refer to http://nicenic.net/domain/hk-domain-registration.php for details.
5. What is the length for .HK domain name?
Minimum of 2 / maximum of 63 characters are allowed for a .HK English domain name. The total number of characters for a .HK Chinese domain name in the string of registration should not exceed 15.
6. What is the term of registration?
The term of registration is 1,2,3,5 years.
7. How do I perform a .HK domain registration?
#1 Visit http://nicenic.net
#2 Enter the .HK domain name you hope to register in the search bar on the homepage of NiceNIC.NET
(For bulk register .HK domain names, please use the link of http://nicenic.net/domain/multicheck.php)
#3 Add the .HK domain name(s) to the shopping cart
#4 Log into your control panel to Check Out/complete payment and DONE!
(For new customer, please "Create New Account" firstly)
Or, you can contact NiceNIC.NET via Email or online ticket to request NiceNIC.NET staffs to walk you through the whole purchase process. It's FREE!
8. How do I manage my .HK domain name for example, modify nameservers, create DNS records and etc.?
You may manage domain name by "Control Panel > My Account > My Domain > Manage". You won't miss it!
9. Can I change Registrant name for .HK domain name?
Yes, you are allowed to change Registrant name for .HK domain name.
10. What are the reserved or prohibited .HK domain names?
The .HK Registry has reserved or blocked certain names. These include:
Generic top-level domains which include, but are not limited to, sponsored top-level domains;
Full names or abbreviations of all local regions or districts;
2-character country codes;
Common surnames or family names;
Any other Domain Name included on the Reserve List.
and additionally, in the case of Chinese Domain Names, Domain Names which we consider to be
The Chinese translation of generic level domains and sponsored level domains;
Names of countries or regions that use Chinese Characters as their language;
Common technical terms related to domain names and related international name associations;
Types and levels of schools and other educational institutions in Hong Kong.
A .HK Chinese domain name contains at least one Chinese character.
The rest of the string for a .HK Chinese domain name may be composed of other character(s) like English letters (A-Z, a-z), Arabian numerals (0-9) or a hyphen (-)
The total number of characters for a .HK Chinese domain name in the string of registration should not exceed 15.
A hyphen should not appear at the beginning and/or at the end of the string of registration nor as the third and the fourth characters for a .HK Chinese domain name.
11. What is the term of renewal?
The term of renewal is 1,2,3,5 years.
12. What is the renewal grace period for .HK domain name and how do I perform a domain renewal?
Renewal grace period for .HK domain name is 29 days and you may renew the domain name by "Control Panel > My Account > My Domain > Renew". So easy!
13. Any Redemption Grace Period (RGP) for .HK domain name?
Yes, Redemption Grace Period for .HK domain name is a period of 60 days.
14. How long does it takes for a domain to release to public registration after expired and not renew?
After a .HK domain was expired, it will go through below life cycle:
29 days renewal grace period -- > 60 days Redemption grace period --> No pending delete
If you did not renew and restore the domain name, it will be released for public re-registration approximately 89 days from the domain expiration date.
15. More questions? You are welcome to contact NiceNIC.NET at http://nicenic.net/customer/contact.php.